SUO: What I can say about BIKE
Reposted for 3rd time, due to list problems:
As we await Lisa's information on the BIKE program, this is what I can say.
1. BIKE wants to demonstrate the feasibility of a common upper ontology for a broad array of applications. As such, it wants the evaluation questions to meet the needs of all the perspectives this group can offer. BIKE wants to be one of many voices editing the evaluation questions. So I suggest we not just wait for the BIKE requirements, but decide how we as individuals would want to evaluate these ontologies if we wanted to start using one of them.
2. From what I know about BIKE, it appear their requirements are similar to the follow excepts from the SUO Scope and Purpose:
A. AUTOMATED REASONING: The standard will be suitable for automated logical inference to support knowledge-based reasoning applications.
B. INTER-OPERABILITY: The standard will provide a basis for achieving Inter-Operability among various software and database applications.
1) Application developers can define new data elements in terms of a common ontology, and thereby gain some degree of interoperability with other conformant systems.
2) Applications based on domain-specific ontologies that are compliant with this standard will be able to interoperate (to some degree) by virtue of the shared common terms and definitions.
3) The SUO will play the role of a neutral interchange format whereby owners of existing applications will be able to map existing data elements just once to a common ontology. This provides a degree of interoperability with other applications whose representations conform to SUO.
The best thing to hit the Internet in years - Juno SpeedBand!
Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!