Thread Links Date Links

RE: SUO: Re: Ballot Comment - 3D versus 4D.

Graham,

I entirely agree - but I reckon the point I am making is orthogonal to
yours.
I am claiming (or repeating the claims put forward by others) that when we
build our picture of the world we do this on the basis of metaphysical
assumptions - which are not really amenable to empirical verification. There
are some areas where we know that there are metaphysical choices - 3D and 4D
is an example - and once we have made the choice this infects our whole
outlook.

I am merely suggesting that it makes sense to document the choice we make
and try and apply it consistently. I suspect that if we try and have our
cake and eat it (stuff both 3D and 4D into the same - monolithic - ontology)
that we will get a mess. This is an engineering problem - not rocket
science. Though if you want rocket science, you can use it in developing
either the 3D or the 4D view.

Regards,
Chris