Scope and Purpose
How to Participate
How we do Business
Links to related work
Lattice of Theories
Standard Upper Ontology Working Group (SUO WG)
This is the Home Page for the IEEE Standard Upper Ontology
Working Group Work Programme to develop procedures for use by
the Working Group in developing its standards.
The motion approving this Work Programme is given below.
The Standard Upper Ontology group approves the objective and
work programme set out below and encourages its members to participate
in the programme, developing
and reviewing the programme deliverables.
To develop a methodology for the development of standards
deliverables within the Standard Upper Ontology Workgroup.
- Establish a methodology for developing and improving SUO
standards deliverables including establishing levels of deliverable,
approvals required to achieve a level, and an issue raising and
resolution process. Initial material to indicate the intent is
The motion was formally moved on 20th September 2003. The
motion was declared passed on 11th October 2003 with the following
Acknowledge (but no vote): 11
No Response: 17
Total Number of Voting Members: 79
Matthew West has been appointed as Project Leader for this
- Define a purpose and target audience for the document, together
with a table of contents.
- Review and amend these informally if we can make that work,
but more formally (raising formal issues) if we run into problems.
- Fill in the blanks. It may not be appropriate to attempt
a full draft before a first review because of dependencies, but
we will see.
- Review draft document and amend, informally where possible,
formally when that doesn't work.
- Repeat 3 & 4 until we have reached consensus, or a point
where a vote is necessary to resolve any issues.
- I will propose a motion for acceptance of the document.
- The document becomes subject to its own provisions for revision
- Latest Version of the Development Guidelines available here.
- Draft 1 of policies and code of practice for e-mail lists
and internet resources may be found here.
- Work Programme for the development of procedures for use
within the Standard Upper Ontology Working Group Approved.
Last updated on 2003-12-28 by Webmaster
Copyright IEEE 2003 - All rights reserved.